I’ve been nominated for these blogger award thingy’s before and admittedly, while I’ve graciously accepted them, I haven’t taken the time to follow through on all the things you have to do… you know… tell friends, thank your nominator, climb Mount Everest, drink a gallon of chocolate milk, etc.
Is it because I have bad manners? No. I save those for the bedroom. Mostly it’s because I am terribly short of time and would rather spend what time I do have on writing more blogs and drinking beer. However, this occasion is different because I think we can have a little fun with this one.
For those of you who aren’t familiar with the WordPress blogosphere and these blogger awards, here’s how it works:
You get nominated by some random stranger (usually a fellow blogger) for a totally made-up award that comes with ABSOLUTELY no monetary compensation: in this case, the Dragon’s Loyalty Award. In fact, it comes with no compensation whatsoever. Not even a badge or a ribbon.
What’s the point of such an exercise? These awards are the blogging equivalent of a Mexican wave of credit and recognition. One person nominates you because you’re awesome and you repay them by thanking them and nominating 15 of your own favourite blogs. You pay it forward just like Haley Joel Osment who is weirdly fat and hairy these days.
All of this is finished off by answering some questions or presenting some facts about yourself, as if anyone cares. To be honest, it was this part of it all that really sealed the deal. I’ve been writing this blog for over 18 months now and I liked that the Dragon’s Loyalty Award presented me the opportunity to tell you, my wonderful readers, a little more about the human being behind Why? Because Science.
So, without further ado, let’s get kraken!!
An Opinionated World for this nomination.
And the Nominees Are…
RIGHT! It’s that time of the evening! Who do I regard as deserved of this play-play award?
- Seemed Like Good Science: http://seemedlikegoodscience.com – because Christopher Reeve is one of the best humans I have met and he writes like a veritable god. Also, he shares his name with the original Superman.
- Jimmy Eat World: http://jimmyeatsworld.com – for those who want to live vicariously through someone else’s spectacular travel adventures. Jimmy is also a SERIOUSLY talented photographer.
- 27b/6: http://www.27bslash6.com/missy.html – because the author makes me Laugh Out Loud in an unladylike manner.
- Cristian Mihai: http://cristianmihai.net/2014/02/07/help-make-it-happen/ – because we could all learn something from a writer with close to 60,000 followers.
- Precarious Climate: http://precariousclimate.com/2014/02/02/great-barren-reef-dredging-coal-exports/ – for the latest and greatest on climate change and global environmental outrage (not for those with high blood pressure).
11 Things You Might Not Have Known About the Author of Why? Because Science
- I’m a girl. You’d be shocked by how many people assume I’m a dude.
- I love clouds, stars, birds and weather. It’s a miracle I don’t walk into more lampposts and road signs.
- I hate it when people leave the tap running when brushing their teeth or washing their face.
- I love cats. I would own 10 if they didn’t do things like poop and require feeding.
- I am a tumbleweed. I absolutely love travelling.
- I think Mila Kunis is arguably one of the fittest of human specimens on the planet. Her and my current girlfriend. Here’s hoping this won’t require editing in the next few months.
- I believe there’s nothing a good glass of red wine can’t solve. Now, imagine what you can do with a bottle!
- I find people with poor oral hygiene gross.
- I am a total sucker for love songs. Squishy, cheesy, toe-crinkly love songs.
- Guilty pleasure: bubble wrap and dubstep music. And white cheddar popcorn.
- I am in love with science writing. THAT you already knew.
Your Questions Answered…
- What’s your favorite game of all time? Not your second or third favorite but your favorite game ever.
7 minutes in heaven.
Oh you meant COMPUTER game? Of course you did. You’re a total nerd.
Quake. Because I like turning zombies into chunky kibbles.
- Where was your favorite place to go as a child?
The dank, fragrant pine forests on the slopes of the mountain I grew up on. We called the forest “Terabithia” after the novel by Katherine Paterson.
- Who do you look up to the most in life?
My brother. He’s really tall.
- What’s your dream? Doctor, Lawyer, Serial Killer, Etc…
You caught me on a good day! Last night’s dream was particularly entertaining. It involved a shower and an aesthetically pleasing human being. In terms of life goals, I want to be a science writer and I want to be happy, both of which I have achieved. I’m now working on the becoming stinking rich part…
- Have you ever farted in the middle of a crowd of people and blamed it on someone else? Be honest people…
I’m a girl. Girls don’t fart.
- Name 5 things you want to do before you die.
- See the aurora lights
- Publish a book that is well received
- See the Grand Canyon
- Mila Kunis
- Be happy in love (check!)
- Who’s your favorite Author?
Bryce Courtenay, Sarah Waters, Wilbur Smith, John Irving, Terry Pratchett, Steven King, Haruki Murakami, James Herbert, Neil Gaiman, your mother.
- What’s your favorite comic book series?
I may be a nerd, but I draw the line at comic books.
- If you could have any super power what would it be? Would you use your powers for good, or evil?
I’d choose telekinesis because:
(1) You could keep your talent subtle enough to avoid too much attention. If you’ve ever watched X-men you’ll know that humans with special powers get branded “mutants” and are shunned by society.
(2) It’s two-for-the-price-of-one: If I wanted to fly, I could simply move myself through the air.
(3) I’d never have to get up for the remote control again.
I suspect that I’d use my powers for fairly benign means… I might try to impress the odd person and make a disgusting amount of money out of it. But two out of the seven deadly sins isn’t bad.
- Imagine yourself in Fallout 3, what would you do?
Whoever wrote these questions is a nerd.
- How tall are you?
5 ft. 10 and I make every inch count!